After establishing almost twelve months ago, after the controversial cuttings design was launched, the Coffs Bypass Action Group (CBAG) is feeling quite a bit happier today having seen the 10 page outline of the EIS which is to be fully released on Wednesday 11 September.
“We are thrilled that the RMS really has listened to the community on this matter and that the State and Federal Governments have put the people of Coffs Harbour first when it comes to this bypass.” Said CBAG spokesperson Rod McKelvey (below).
“We would like to thank the people of Coffs Harbour, the Coffs City Council, The Coffs Harbour & Districts Local Aboriginal Land Council and our two new MPs, Gurmesh Singh and Pat Conaghan, for all working together for the best community result.
“Obviously we need to wait for the full details to be released before we can come to our final conclusions but so far so good.
“We do note the statement in the briefing that says ‘The plans proposed in the EIS may evolve, depending on several factors, including community feedback, and the construction methodologies developed by the contractors once appointed’ and so we will be urging everyone who puts in a submission to include the need for a “construct only” contract.
We do not want to be placed in the position of Toowoomba, where a tunnel was part of their EIS but was replaced by a cutting due to a “design and construct” contract.
“Once we see the detailed report we will be adding suggested submission points to our website which may help residents along various sections of the bypass highlight their concerns. Though we very much appear to be on track we will not be disbanding this group until we have an absolute guarantee of the design” Mr McKelvey said
CBAG have their usual General Meeting this Thursday 12th September at The Cavanbah Centre at 6.30pm. They are hoping Gurmesh Singh might be there.
The above is a Press Release from the Coffs Bypass Action Group – Mionday 9 September 2019.